Preventing harm

We are committed to creating and sustaining thriving communities and improving the wellbeing of the communities we serve. 

We want to work with our customers and communities to ensure that people remain safe and protected from harm and abuse.

When talking about protecting vulnerable people we use the term ‘Safeguarding’. This is a legal term that is easily recognised by all agencies that might work together to keep people safe e.g. NHS, police and local authorities. 

On this page you can find out more about Safeguarding and answers to some of the key questions about how you can get help and support

What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding is protecting children or adults at risk from abuse or neglect (this can include self -neglect). An adult at risk is an individual aged 18 or over who is less able to protect themselves from abuse or neglect. The reason why they are less able to protect themselves from abuse may be temporary or permanent but could include:

  • Mental health;
  • Disability;
  • Age; and/or
  • Illness

What is abuse?

There are many different types of abuse, all of which are a violation of the individual’s human and civil rights and result in harm – this can be deliberate or unintentional. In the most serious of cases, this harm can be death. The abuse can vary, from treating someone in a way that significantly affects the person's quality of life, to causing actual physical or mental suffering.

  • Abuse can be a one off incident or a pattern of behaviour. It includes:
  • Discriminatory abuse
  • Domestic violence (sometimes referred to as domestic abuse)
  • Emotional or psychological abuse
  • Exploitation
  • Financial or material abuse
  • Modern slavery
  • Neglect and acts of omission
  • Organisational abuse (sometimes referred to as institutional abuse)
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse

Abuse can happen anywhere, including:

  • in a person's own home;
  • in a residential or nursing home;
  • in a hospital;
  • in the workplace;
  • at a day centre or educational establishment;
  • in supported housing; and
  • in the street

The person responsible for the abuse is often well known to the person being abused, and could be:

  • Spouse or partner
  • Family member – this includes children
  • Friend
  • Acquaintance
  • Neighbour or local resident
  • Paid staff or a professional – this includes medical, social care, housing and support staff and also people a person employs directly in their home such as a cleaner or a carer; and
  • Volunteer

Strangers can also commit abuse and can include people who:

  • befriend vulnerable people with the intention of exploiting them
  • deceive people into believing they are from legitimate businesses, services or utility providers
  • intimidate vulnerable people into financial transactions they do not want or cannot understand.

I'm concerned for myself or somebody else. What should I do?

If there is an immediate risk to a child, young person, adult or yourself, please contact the police on 999.

If a crime has occurred but there is no immediate risk, you can report this to the police on 101.

If you have concerns about the safety and well-being of a child, young person or adult, you can report your concerns to a member of staff. If you believe the abuse is being carried out by a manager, then please ask to speak to their manager to report your concerns. Details of how to contact us can be found here

You can also raise a safeguarding concern directly with the local authority, the lead organisation in safeguarding. Each local authority has a different contact number - these can be found on the local authority website or through an internet search. Top tip: you will need to specify whether it is an adult or child safeguarding issue in your search.

If you have concerns about our extra care services, you can also contact the Care Quality Commission on 030 0061 6161.

What will Genesis do?

We will work with our partner agencies, including the local authority, NHS and police, to safeguard the well-being of children, young people and adults who live in our properties, work with our staff, benefit from our services and receive care from us.

Did you know?

As a member of the public, you can raise a safeguarding concern anonymously with the Local Authority.

If you raise a concern with us, we will support you to report it to the right agency and we will also investigate the issue ourselves where appropriate. Where possible, we will treat your concerns with confidence, but we cannot guarantee confidentiality. If you raise concerns with us regarding an individual, we may need to share the details with other agencies in order for them to investigate further and ensure they stay safe and free from harm or abuse.

If you raise concerns regarding your own well-being, we will work with you to feel more empowered to safeguard yourself. We will also discuss with you whether you would like a safeguarding concern to be raised. There may be occasions where we need to raise a safeguarding concern with the local authority to ensure that you and others remain free and safe from harm. 

We will offer help to support you to cope with the effects of the abuse or neglect you have experienced or witnessed, as well as signpost you to specialist organisations.

Where we can, we will feedback to you on the outcome of the case you reported. In some circumstances, the information we can give you will be limited due to confidentiality issues.

Return to the top