Managing your money
Last updated - 2 November 2017
Helping you manage your budget
Making your money last can be difficult with rising costs of living.
Visiting the Money Advice Service website is a good place to start. Their money advice is free and impartial.
They can provide:
- Advice and guides to help improve your finances
- Tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead
- Support over the phone and online
To help you make your money go further you can use their free Budget planner. It's simple to use and puts you in control of your household spending.
Supporting you when you're dealing with debt
Many of us have found ourselves in debt and experienced the emotional pressure it can cause. If you have a debt problem it is important not to panic, but you can’t ignore it either – it won’t go away.
We understand how difficult it can be to manage debt. But it is important to remember that your home is at risk if you don't pay your rent. We're here to help, so if you are struggling please contact us as soon as possible.
We will be able to help with alternative payment arrangements and may be able to suggest who you can contact to claim any benefits you might be entitled to.
If you're worried about your debt, you should:
- Contact StepChange for free, impartial advice. Call free on 0800 138 1111 or get advice from StepChange online.
- Contact your Income Services Officer if you think you will have problems paying your rent, so they can arrange a payment plan with you.
- Make a list of all your debts and put them in order of importance.
- Speak to people that you owe money to and let them know you're having financial difficulties.
Avoid high cost credit
- Avoid pay day loans if at all possible. Genesis has a partnership with London Plus Credit Union (LPCU) who can offer a fairer rate of interest on loans.
- Never use loan sharks. Loan sharks are illegal, unregulated lenders and you will end up paying back a lot more than you took out.
If you need advice or support, please contact our Financial Inclusion team using our 'Get in touch' tool at the bottom of the page.