Last updated - 6 November 2017

Insurance information for homeowners
Here you will find information about contents and building insurance, guidance on how to make a claim and access the buildings insurance certificate.
The logo used by MyHome insurance

Contents insurance

Note - our policy does not cover the contents of your home; these are items like your furniture, electronics, clothing etc. We strongly recommend that you take out home contents insurance to cover theft or damage to your belongings.

We can help our tenants and residents obtain home contents insurance easily and at a price that is affordable. While many people often hope that nothing will happen to their belongings, sometimes things can go wrong unexpectedly.

With a special scheme called My Home arranged in conjunction with the National Housing Federation, Genesis tenants and residents can protect their belongings and gain peace of mind knowing if the unexpected happens they have cover.

Visit to find out more

Information is also available direct from the Genesis Insurance Team.

Buildings insurance certificate

Where Genesis has an insurance responsibility, usually as the freehold owner of an estate or block, we need to make sure there is building insurance in place that also covers your home. We do this by insuring your home on our block policy. This means it covers a number of properties.

The buildings insurance covers:

  • the fabric and structure of the building e.g. roof, walls, fixtures; and
  • damages caused by fire, escape of water, storm, flood etc (details can be found on your buildings insurance certificate).

Where Genesis is not the freehold owner of a block/estate or we do not have an insurance obligation, responsibility for arranging building insurance cover normally sits with the freehold owner. If you are unsure of the building insurance cover arrangements for your home, information can be obtained from your Neighbourhood Manager or by emailing the Insurance Team.

At Genesis we aim to deliver services digitally, which means you will be able to download to your computer or smartphone your building's insurance certificate (link at the top of this page).

Please note - This document only relates to certain properties of a particular tenure where Genesis is the freeholder or we have an insurance responsibility.

Making a claim – Buildings insurance

Where Genesis is the freeholder or where we have an insurance responsibility and you are the homeowner and the damage is within your property, please make contact with our insurance provider:

Zurich Municipal

Call: 01252 387 249 or 0800 0280336

Quoting the policy number: JHA-22S173-0013

If damage is outside your property in a communal area, please contact our Customer Services Team.

You will need to report your claim within 30 days of the loss date. Remember if the loss is as result of malicious damage or theft, you will need to report this to the police to obtain a crime reference number.

Zurich will be able to guide you through the process offering two repairs options. If Zurich agrees to your claim, you may be able to choose your own contractor. You will need to supply two to three quotes and provide these to Zurich for approval. Alternatively Zurich may offer services via their repairs network team. This means Zurich will arrange a contractor to carry out the works to restore your home to the condition before the incident/loss occurred.

Please Note: you will be required to pay Zurich the policy excess before works can commence. The excess amount can be found in your buildings insurance certificate.

The property that makes the claim is the party that will be subject to payment of the excess.

You can also make contact with our Insurance Team by calling our contact centre or email

Emergency out of hours insurance losses:

Contact Zurich Municipal on 0800 028 0336. Please note that Zurich Municipal may not be able to check your details outside office hours, therefore you may need to pay for the emergency work yourself and claim back these costs at a later date, once Zurich Municipal have checked and accepted your claim.

Public liability/property owner’s and Employers liability claims

Third Party solicitors and/or claimant representatives

If you are a third party solicitor or claimant representative and would like to know more about our insurance policies and the Portal Compensation ID, please see below.

Our insurer is Zurich Municipal. The policy number is JHA-22S173-0013 and the portal compensator ID is C00108JHA-22S173-0013

Defendants only Claim Notification Forms must be sent to

If you have any further questions about our insurance please contact us on the email address above.

Making a claim against Genesis

Under the terms of its insurance policy Genesis will consider claims for injury and/or damage to personal possessions.

Your claim can be emailed or sent by letter, setting out why you believe Genesis is legally at fault or liable. Your claim will be considered by our insurer who will recommend whether Genesis has legal liability. We will agree to make a decision on liability within 90 days from the date of acknowledgment to your letter of claim.


At Genesis we take fraudulent claims seriously and if fraud is suspected, your details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may also access and use this information.