1. Home
  2. Customers
  3. My home
  4. Lettings and Allocations

Lettings and allocations

Changes to lettings and allocations policy from October 2013

Housing in London and the South East is in short supply. We have revised our transfer rules and lettings and allocation policy to ensure we are supporting those most in need of social housing. The new policy will help Genesis to create more sustainable tenancies and manage the demand for our homes better.

The changes affect residents who would like to transfer to another Genesis property. We have contacted residents who will be affected by any changes to the policy, to make sure they understand how their request to relocate may be affected under the new rules.

The main changes are:

Bedroom entitlement
Bedroom entitlement will be calculated using what’s known as the Government’s social sector size criteria. This means one bedroom will be allocated to:

  • a couple living as part of a household
  • each person aged 16 years and over
  • two children of the same gender under the age of 16
  • two children who are under the age of 10 regardless of gender

The exceptions are:

  • disabled residents who need a separate bedroom for a non-resident carer
  • children needing a separate bedroom because of a severe disability

Removing the lowest priority band
To ensure we are supporting those most in need of social housing, the lowest priority band (Band D) has been removed.

Under-occupying customers given higher priority
All transfer applicants with more bedrooms than they need under the new social sector size criteria - will be moved to the highest priority band (Band A)

To read more visit  our rehousing page or download the policy here (opens in a new window)



If you are homeless or likely to become homeless you should contact your local council for emergency housing assistance. The council will normally help if you:

  • have children or are pregnant
  • have medical problems or a disability
  • are an elderly person or aged between 16 and 18
  • were made homeless because of an emergency, for example a fire, or because you were fleeing violence
  • have not become homeless intentionally

If you do not fall into any of these categories, the council will be able to give you advice.

If you are in dispute with your landlord and you fear harassment and/or eviction, you should contact any of the following for advice:

  • a law centre
  • Citizens Advice Bureau
  • Housing Advice Centre for advice

Legal advice may be free of charge if you are not working or you are on a low income.

Return to the top