Paying your rent and service charge
Last updated - 23 February 2018
Ways to pay your rent
- Genesis App - it only takes a few minutes to download to get registered. Search for MyGenesis in your App store and you can make a payment via your phone or tablet.
- Direct Debit – call us on 033 3000 3000 and we’ll be happy to set this up for you. You can pay weekly, fortnightly, four weekly or monthly and we can take payment on any day of the month. We will also amend your Direct Debit when new charges apply to ensure you are always paying the correct amount.
- Pay online - go to www.allpay.net and make a payment with your debit or credit card making sure you use your payment reference number (located in the top right-hand corner of your rent statement or we can confirm this for you on the phone).
- Standing Order - phone us on 033 3000 3000 and we’ll give you our bank details and your reference so you can arrange this.
- Call Allpay on 0844 557 8321 with your card details and payment reference number.
- Swipecard - if you have a card already you can make one-off payments at any post office or shop displaying the PayPoint or PAYzone signs. If not, give us a call and we can order one for you.
- Calling our Contact Centre on 033 3000 3000: You can make a payment via two channels -
- Using our automated service (if you have your 19 digit All Pay reference number)
- Speaking to one of our customer service advisors who can also take a payment in minutes for you.
If you're struggling to pay
Speak to us on 033 3000 3000 and we’ll talk you through your options. Below are some of the ways we may be able to help.
- Agreeing an arrangement based on your income and expenditure.
- Speaking to your local authority to find out if there are any issues with your Housing Benefit.
- Referring you in-house for advice from our Financial Inclusion Officer.
- One of our Welfare Benefits Advisers can ensure you are getting the correct benefits and everything you are entitled.
- If you’re affected by Bedroom Tax, Benefit Cap or Universal Credit we can offer advice on downsizing. We can also give you advice on applying for a payment from your Council to cover any shortfall and taking in a lodger. There are also other options to consider.
If you are unable to pay your rent you may be putting your tenancy at risk. We want to help you remain in your home with a clear rent account so if you are having difficulties please speak to us as soon as possible.
We are required by law to send you a statement of your rent or service charges once every three months. Your statement shows the charges on your account and all the payments made. The statement will show if you are in credit on your account or if you are behind with your payments.
A rent statement can also be a demand for payment or an invoice notifying you of the need to pay your rent in line with your tenancy or lease agreement. If your statement shows that you owe us money you will need to get in touch with us on 033 3000 3000 so we can run through your options.
Your rent statement will cover the last three month’s transactions on your account. Your statement will show the dates that it covers but if there’s any doubt please give us a call. You can also ask us for statements covering longer than three months.
Rent is money you pay to your landlord in return for living in your home.
Service charges cover the cost of maintaining the building you live in so will cover things like cleaning your hallways, ensuring your lift and intercom are working and that your communal garden is well maintained. If you receive Housing Benefit these charges may be included in the amount they will pay but if any of the service charge relates specifically to your property like heating or hot water they will not. If you need to check the status of your charges our Income Team will be happy to explain.
Depending on the date that you made your payment, it may not have been on the account on the date that the statement was printed. Payments often take 24 hours to reach your account but can take up to three days depending on how you’ve paid.
Sometimes payment is made without using the payment reference number which means that the payment does not reach the account. If you let your Income Officer know we will try and locate this for you and give you your reference number so this doesn’t happen again.
If you’ve recently started receiving Housing Benefit, sometimes payment is made by your local authority without using your HB reference number. If you let us know that your payment is not on your account despite your local authority having paid it we will try and locate this for you. Remember that Housing Benefit is generally paid four weeks behind so you will incur some charges before Housing Benefit is paid. Making your own payments to bring your account in advance is the best way to avoid this.
If you do not see a payment on your account that you expected to see call us on 033 3000 3000 and we will look into this further
Please call us on 033 3000 3000 so we can let you know how much you need to be paying and we can take a payment for the shortfall in your payments or make an arrangement for any debt that has built up.
If our Contact Centre are unable to answer your query you will be put you through to your Income Officer to discuss your account. Alternatively you can contact the Income Team directly on 0208 451 8328.
All rent is required to be paid in advance by four weeks or in line with your payment frequency. If the credit on your account exceeds this please request a Refund Form and send this to email@example.com where this will be passed to your Income Officer to process once they have checked your account.
We have tried to make the statements as easy to read as possible but we do need to include all of the information that is currently on there. If you need the statement in Large Print please give us a call on 033 3000 3000 and we will ensure that is done for future statements. If there is anything on your statement which is not clear and which the FAQ’s do not answer we will explain this over the telephone.
We now have a Genesis App which allows you to view your up to date rent statement. You can use the app to see your balance, rent statements and outstanding amounts that you owe. Payments can also be made on the App. MyGenesis App can be used on Apple, Android and Windows, smart phones and tablets.
Search for MyGenesis App to download for free and register with your payment reference number (which is located on your statement but you are also welcome to call us on 033 3000 3000 and we will be happy to provide this), surname, date of birth and postcode.
Please call us on 033 3000 3000 with the correct details and we will update your information immediately.